|Sediment Transport Demonstration Channel :
Sediment Transport Demonstration Channel
- A transparent, inclinable flow channel
through which water can be re-circulated by a pump over a mobile bed to
demonstrate the whole range of bedforms from incipient particle movement
to bed wash-out.
- Three different discharge rates can be selected (and measured) within the range 0.2 to 0.6 litres/sec.
- The channel slope can be adjusted within the range 0-10%.
- The working section of the channel is 1.55m long, 78mm wide and 110mm deep.
- The equipment is self-contained and may be bench-mounted in either the classroom or laboratory by virtue of its portability.
- A model undershot weir and bridge pier are included for local erosion demonstrations.
- A water level gauge is supplied to calibrate the overshot weir.
The unit consists of an inclinable
channel mounted on a frame, together with a discharge tank and
recirculating pump. To commence a demonstration, sand is placed evenly
along the channel bed, between the inlet tank and the overfall discharge
weir. Water is circulated around the system at one of the three
selectable flow rates. The channel slope is adjusted by means of a fine
screw jack to which is attached an accurate slope indicator. The channel
sides are transparent in order that bed profile changes can be readily
observed, and a section of one side is provided with graphical grid
markings to permit quantitative assessments to be made of bedform
Channel working section:
3 fixed flow rates between 0.2 and 0.6 litres/sec, selected by switch on pump
Slope: 0 to 10%
Sediment diameter: 0.1 to 0.3mm
Weight of sand supplied: 15kg
Weight [including sand and water]: 74 & 78 kg